Thursday, October 8, 2009

Day 3 - Tried to go to the Zoo, ended up at Darling Harbour


After a breakfast in my room (cereal, just like home!), I decided to take the ferry and go to the zoo. I jumped on the first ferry and realized it was going to Darling Harbour, not Circular Quay, where the ferry to the zoo leaves from. Oh well, small change in plans. I looked around Darling Harbour, had lunch and walked over to Circular Quay. Now it was already about 2 pm and a little late to head to the zoo. Instead I headed over to the Opera House. There was a tour leaving in 10 minutes, so I signed up. A guide took us around the interior, with interesting facts about building it. In 1959, it was expected to take 3 years and 7 million dollars. It was finished in 1973 and cost 102 million! You can only imagine why the architect, Jorn Utzon, resigned and sadly left Australia. Who could have imagined it would become one of the most famous buildings of the modern world?

No comments:

Post a Comment